Summary of the Position
This is a non-supervisory, deadline-driven position responsible for performing various editorial functions for the publication of USP documents and sections of publications for content, style, grammar, syntax, referencing and readability. The incumbent in this role will communicate with science experts, as needed, to ensure quality, clarity, and consistency of work and will participate in team meetings to ensure the timely completion of work by using several workflow tracking systems.Roles and Responsibilities
Minimum Requirements Education and Experience: Education:
- Edits and proofreads scientific materials.
- Copyedits content so that it is well-written and complies with USP style.
- Ensures that grammar, syntax, and spelling are correct and prepares these documents for transfer to production.
- Communicates with science experts as needed to ensure quality and clarity of content.
- Applies XML tagging to scientific content.
- Uses an electronic workflow and document repository system.
- Undergoes training and mentoring programs.
- Performs other duties as required/assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a life science or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- At least 2 years in editing of scientific, technical, or medical materials.
- Experience working with electronic work tracking and workflow procedures.
- Knowledge and/or use of SGML/XML/HTML.
- Experience in book and/or journal editing in print and electronic formats.
- Demonstrated computer skills in a PC environment, along with proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel), Adobe Acrobat Professional, and an HTML or XML editor.
- Thrive in a results-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Keen eye for detail.
- Navigate multi-layered publications systems and processes.
- Work under tight deadlines in a multi-tasking environment.
- Work independently when appropriate, and yet understand when to escalate issues.
- Establish effective working relationships in a team setting.