Our Client, a non-for-profit community teaching hospital in Connecticut, is seeking to hire OR Nurse. This registered nurse will effectively deliver perioperative care to the surgical patient through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation.
· Provide safe patient care by verifying patient identification and assuring the presence of the necessary documents, laboratory tests, consents, equipment, radiology images and implants.
· Deliver patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation.
· Adhere to aseptic practices to protect patients from injury, minimize wound contamination and reduce patient risk for surgical site infection.
· Apply basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology, and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
· Comply with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infectious body fluids, chemical disinfectants and other hazardous substances.
· Problem-solve in relation to the procedure being performed and respond appropriately to emergencies or changes in procedure.
· Demonstrate attention to detail and anticipate surgeon’s needs when scrubbed on any surgical procedure.
· Account for accurate sponge, sharp and instrument counts, correct medication labeling on the sterile field, and correct handling and labeling of specimens.
· Accurately document pertinent information, observations, and all aspects of patient care in a timely manner.
· Maintain knowledge of surgical techniques, instrumentation, equipment, and supplies necessary for procedures.
· Demonstrate knowledge of sterilization and instrument processing.
· Assist with the training and clinical precepting of students and new employees.
· Current Connecticut nursing license required
· BLS certification required
· CNOR certification preferred
· Minimum 2 years previous experience in either a hospital or ambulatory surgical center setting required.