Reports To: Production Manager
Work Schedule: Rotating 12 hour shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hourly or Salary: Hourly
Employment Status: Full-time
KAAPA Ethanol, LLC is looking for a consistent and detail oriented team player for our full-time Operator position. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent and be willing to work 12 hour rotating shifts with the ability to lift up to 75 lbs occasionally. Experience with ethanol is preferred. Be rewarded for quality work with competitive pay and an excellent benefits package.
The Operator’s primary duties are ensuring the plant is running efficiently in the following areas: hammermills, boilers, centrifuges, distillation, dehydration, evaporation, cooling tower and methanator.
- Establish and maintain the highest integrity of KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC.
- Maintain confidentiality of all KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC information.
- Work with all employees and represent KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC in a professional and respectful manner.
- Comply with and follow all corporate guidelines.
- Ensure a safe workplace by attending all safety meetings, following all safety policies, and strictly adhering to all standard precautions and practices established to reduce the potential of occupational exposures.
- Practice the proper use and treatment of all KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC equipment and property.
- Consult with the prior shift operators before beginning each shift including reviewing records and checking the current status.
- Accurately and promptly complete all log books and other daily record keeping tasks.
- Test and record findings on all required equipment as designated on the log sheet
- Complete required tests and record information for the dryer, distillation, evaporation, boiler chemistry, dehydration, cook, fermentation, and yeast propagation.
- Extract samples lab for analysis. (alcohol, syrup, etc.).
- Check enzyme pumps every hour and check enzyme rates four times per shift, record or calibrate information as required.
- Check and report the CIP tank strength before the end of each shift.
- Visually inspect and clean fermenters each time they are emptied and CIP propagators on an as determined by management basis.
- Report any discrepancies or variances to the crew chief as soon as you become aware of them.
- Be aware of which grain bin is being filled and emptied.
- Ensure all areas of the plant are orderly by cleaning the area after each job is completed.
- Keep current on the status of all operating equipment in your section such as:
- Water to pump seals
- Oil in pump glasses
- Vibration of pumps or motors
- Levels in critical tanks
- Listening for unusual noises
- Keep informed on hazardous conditions of any kind, including:
- Bases-caustic, ammonia
- Acids-sulfuric, sulfamic, phosphoric
- High pressure and/or temperatures (I.E.: steam, condensate, distillate, syrup, thin stillage)
- Grabbing of hot samples-cook area, cip
- Use of hot water-flush water, steam
- Chemical barrel wash-versene, antifoam, Bleach
- Process equipment- couplers, mixers
- Chemical spill containment-acid, caustic
- Additional area as identified by safety committee members
- Participate in cross-training opportunities to expand skills and knowledge at KAAPA Ethanol Ravenna, LLC.
- Assist other operators in loading DWGS trucks as yard traffic dictates additional help.
- Assist other operators in loading railcars and alcohol trucks and unloading denaturant as required.
- Other duties not listed herein, but which need to be accomplished to maintain safe and timely day-to-day operations within the plant.
Qualifications & Skills
Education, License and/ or Certification:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Valid driver’s license in the state of Nebraska required and insurable with KAAPA Ethanol, LLC vehicle insurance policy
- Knowledge of grain handling systems is preferred
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
- Knowledge of railcars or trackmobile beneficial
- Basic computer experience
Physical & Work Environment
- Must be able to exert up to 75 lbs. of force occasionally, up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and up to 35 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- Frequent moderate lifting, pulling, pushing, climbing and carrying
- Requires both simple and firm grasping and some fine manipulating
- Ability to distinguish most colors but specifically the following colors: red, green, yellow, blue
- Indoors and outdoors with exposure to extreme temperatures and proper personal protective equipment where applicable.
KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC maintains a Drug Free Workplace and employees must pass a physical, eye examination, and drug/alcohol test prior to employment.recblid s6j68w6rbtpktgknidt0tuaqynjbtl