The Instructional Designer promotes and supports the use of learning technologies at Emporia State University, and provides services that facilitate the integration of technology into teaching and learning across a broad curriculum. This position is also responsible for assisting in the support of the learning technologies portfolio at the University (e.g., Canvas, Zoom, Makerspaces, AR/VR/MR Studio, One Button Studio, Lightboard, etc.)
Position Duties, Responsibilities, And Competencies
- Faculty Support & Training Design: develop and deliver professional development for faculty in the area of learning technologies through instructor-led, hands-on workshops, remote web conference sessions, and online self-paced programs.
- Design and deliver on-campus, individual and web-based professional development for faculty and students regarding learning technologies and initiatives such as use of various cloud-based software, content development, accessibility standards, and quality assurance (e.g., Quality Matters framework)
- Conduct demonstrations and training sessions in the use of instructional components and software.
- Instructional and Course Design: Assess instructional needs of faculty and determine application solutions or design templates that will support the integration of digital content into the teaching and learning environment.
- Provides support for creation of resources used for teaching and learning, such as video content and assistive technology.
- Stays abreast regarding the current state of and future advances in learning technology, eLearning applications and course delivery.
- Researches and evaluates emergent cloud technologies, tools, and delivery options based on analysis of user needs.
- Assists in maintenance of a dynamic Learning Technologies section of the Information Technology website
- Participates in projects to integrate new learning technologies including installing, configuring, and testing new components and cloud-based software.
- Participates in the evaluation, selection, testing and implementation of components and cloud-based software tools, technologies and services that empower faculty and enhance the teaching/learning experience.
- Community Engagement & Involvement: Initiate faculty collaboration models to foster the sharing of experiences and ideas in the field of technology integration within departments across campus and outside of ESU.
- Conducts a variety of workshops and professional development with both on and off-campus constituents, including school districts, libraries, municipalities, and other colleges and universities.
- Promotes learning technologies research and development activities through a variety of professional organizations and conferences, including EDUCAUSE, Colleague to Colleague, CHECK, Podstock, MACE, ISTE, AECT, and through online organizations and communication channels.
- Investigates grant and other external funding opportunities.
- Assists in leading a variety of professional development activities for ESU faculty, including i3 innovation grants (Innovate, Inspire, Ignite); TellYourStory (micro-conference); the Embedded Instructional Design program, and other related activities.
- Learning Technology Support: Provide support for faculty to assist them with integrating technology into their curriculum.
- Provides email, phone, text and walk-in support for faculty and students in the use of the learning management system and supported learning technologies, such as the One Button Studio, Lightboard, and AR/VR/MR Studio.
- Creates and publishes user documentation, including web resources and users' manuals, for supported learning technology tools and software.
- Provides Learning Spaces training for wireless display systems, mobile devices, and other emergent technologies.
- Provides support for emergent technologies, such as AR/VR/MR
- Ensures integration of technology into teaching through development of documentation, interactive tutorials, narrated video demonstrations and other training resources to support faculty, staff, and students.
- Team Operations & Service Management: Provides support for IT operations, including portfolio and project management for designing, delivering, managing and improving learning technology
- Coordinates and participates in the implementation and use of technologies that support learning across the university, including online, blended and on-ground instruction.
- Other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in instructional technology, education technology, education, curriculum design, information sciences, digital media design, or related field required.
- Master's degree in Instructional/Learning Design, Instructional Systems Design, Instructional Technology, curriculum design, Information Technology, or Digital/Multimedia preferred.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Three years of experience in course or curriculum design, eLearning and digital media creation/delivery required.
- Experience in the areas of teaching, providing effective customer services preferably in higher education, evaluating products, and preparing and presenting reports or presentations is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of a learning management system (e.g., Canvas), video production software, and online course development.
- Experience with assistive technologies, such as closed captioning
- Experience with course quality assurance frameworks, such as Quality Matters.
- Possession of a valid Kansas driver’s license and/or able to provide own transportation in conduct of work assignments
- Experience with video and video editing.
- Experience with AR/VR/MR technologies.
Preferred Personal Attributes:
- Self-starter. Able to identify needs and address issues independently.
- Maintain a positive attitude, good morale, and cooperation promoting teamwork and partnering with other team members.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written, communication skills and the ability to work effectively and collegially with faculty, administrators, students, and colleagues are required.
- Ability to effectively problem-solve and prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong work ethic (e.g., dependable, professional) and proven ability to work in an environment involving tasks that require strict confidentiality.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to interpret and adhere to institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules and regulations.
- Willingness to travel in Emporia and Kansas
- Must be able to lift/maneuver and/or install equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. independently and with assistance
- Must able to stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, and walk
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings when required
- Salary range $45,000-$53,000
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Health Care Benefits
- Paid Leave
- Excellent working environment
- Opportunities for professional development and growth
Background check is required.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot lawfully be considered by law.recblid o4w44bjsuq7co17g61tsrzaowpba9g