Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030 Category:
Physical TherapyJob Type:
Part-Time Posted Date:
May 8, 2019 Work Shift:
8 hours on Friday/ Saturday and Sunday
8 hours on Friday/ Saturday and Sunday
At Houston Methodist, the Physical Therapist II (PT II) is responsible for evaluating and developing the therapy plan of care for a broad range of diagnoses and acuities. May specialize in care for certain complex patient types, through advanced training and education. As an experienced Therapist, provides education to patients, patients family members, and/or caregivers, and collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. As a member of the patient care team, provides patient care directly. Delivers exceptional patient care with adherence to safety standards and guidelines to ensure optimal patient safety, customer service, and optimum patient outcomes. Serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff, including other Therapists, and technicians. May act as a clinical instructor to students, and Clinical Fellows. Assists with collection of quality metrics and analytics. Assists with development of best practices and process improvement initiatives, as designated. May assist in coordination of daily activities in absence of manager or Lead.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental ""Scope of Service"" and ""Provision of Care"" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
2. Serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced physical therapists, helping to advance their professional practice at HM. May develop and present educational and formal training sessions. (EF)
3. Teaches and provides guidance to nursing and support staff. Orients new team members and assists with precepting students in clinical rotations and clinical fellows. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
1. Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of patients across a broad range of diagnosis and acuities to identify patients level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings and implements the physical therapy treatment plan. Assists in providing service to complex patient populations. (EF)
2. Provides education to patients, patients family members, and/or caregivers. Serves as resource to colleagues and nursing in teaching best therapy practice. (EF)
3. Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team modifications to patients treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning for achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
4. Balances and adjusts as needed the caseload for the assigned team members to result in optimum patient care and outcome. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Assesses patients regularly, monitors progress towards treatment goals, modifies goals, and plan or program as indicated. Recognizes complications/limitations associated with certain procedures and proactively addresses such for optimum outcomes. (EF)
2. Proactively identifies opportunities for corrective action and assists in process improvement by providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Assists in development of treatment protocols and best practice for certain population or practice area. (EF)
3. Provides select oversight of patient care provided by nursing, caregivers, new employees assigned or assigned students, ensuring quality outcomes and the safety of the patient, adjusting activities as applicable. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
1. Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established patient load assignments. (EF)
2. Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient education and procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters accurate charges for services provided, as applicable. May assist with assigned tasks such as charge development or reconciliations as applicable. (EF)
3. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Actively participates in and may lead departmental projects and hospital committees. Participates in HM related and approved hospital/community teaching opportunities, community services and/or functions. (EF)
2. Assists higher level PTs with program development and/or clinical competencies. (EF)
3. Seeks opportunities to specialize and/or expand learning beyond basic competencies with a focus on continual development as a PT II. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
o Completion of HM or comparable Physical Therapy Residency program; or completion of a Specialty Certification; or completion of a Fellowship program; or 3 years of experience as a Physical Therapist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Physical Therapy License or eligible for temporary Texas Physical Therapy License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Demonstrates increasing expertise in treatments provided and/or for a particular patient population.
o Ability to work independently, capable of handling challenging/difficult therapy procedures and patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes experienced clinical skills.
o Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
o Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
o Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization of treatment plans for increasingly complex patient populations.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodistis consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's ""Best Hospital"" list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of ""100 Best Companies To Work For"" since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
At Houston Methodist, we take our responsibility as the region’s premier health care system seriously.
With a national reputation for excellence in patient care, education and research, we hold ourselves — and the careers we build — to a higher standard. We invite you to find your place among the best of the best, and to stand with us in earning the trust of millions of people across the Houston Metro area every day.
Houston Methodist is comprised of a nationally recognized academic medical center and six community hospitals with a history of health care innovation. For the tenth straight year we have been named to FORTUNE’s list of “100 Best Companies to Work For” and have also been ranked the no.1 hospital in Texas by U.S. News & World Report.
Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.