Facility: LaSalle Detention Facility
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Job Posting is for position located in Oakdale, LA.
This position maintains control and order during court proceedings and escorts detainees or inmates.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains order in courtroom during detainee or inmate hearings.
- Controls courtroom activities by monitoring entrance or exit of persons and authorizing entry or exit of individuals.
- Provides escort services to prevent detainees or inmates with contact with others.
- Enforces courtroom rules of behavior and warns persons of disruptive behavior.
- Reports need for additional security or medical assistance.
- Monitors order or court procedures in courtroom.
- Recognizes public safety hazards.
- Applies appropriate physical restraints as necessary.
- Checks courtroom for security and cleanliness and ensures contraband is not present.
- Announces entrance of administrative staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- College coursework and advanced training in behavioral sciences, correctional services or related field preferred. Training in cultural diversity or sensitivity preferred.
- Three (3) years experience in a Detention Officer capacity with above average performance shown through an employee’s performance evaluations.
- Possession of applicable state requisites for employment.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Ability to handle physical and mental stress associated with working extended hours.
- Must be able to regularly report to work without being late.
- Ability to be physically alert on any shift that is assigned.
- Ability to work up to sixteen (16) hours within a rolling 24 hour period.
- Work experience in a correctional setting preferred.
- May be required to possess valid state driver’s license.
- Must be mature, flexible, able to command the respect and confidence of inmates or detainees and staff, philosophically committed to the objectives of the facility, and possess a high tolerance to mental stress.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.