Job Req ID: 192723
Position Number: 00150147
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift Details: 6a-6p and every other weekend
Department Name: Dietary Services
Location: Atrium Health Kings Mountain
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit carolinashealthcare.org/AtriumHealth
Responsible for patient meals and food services on assigned units, e.g., menu selections, tray assembly, tray delivery and pick-up, special requests and needs, in-between meal food delivery. Communicates patient food issues and concerns and needs to Nutrition Services and interacts with Nursing in regards to patient nutrition needs or requirements. Reacts accurately and effectively to all changes to ensure accuracy of physician's ordered modified diets and efficient timing of services. Is familiar with dietary restrictions on special and modified diets to ensure optimal patient care and satisfaction. Essential Functions
- Patiently, clearly and accurately explains menu selections, diet options, food restrictions and procedures to patients and/or their families, using appropriate communication skills to interpret age specific responses for infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients, as assessed through observation and solicited feedback.
- Demonstrates ability to assess age specific safety issues for infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients, as assessed through observation and solicited feedback.
- Demonstrates knowledge of modified diets, proper condiments, and related restrictions for diets based upon passing a written test provided by clinical staff and random audits and observations during meal service.
- Demonstrates ability to offer alternatives to menu as allowed on prescribed diet in accordance with cultural, ethnic and religious preferences based on random audits and observations.
- Observes patient birthdays and anniversaries by making special arrangements for celebration cakes or special meal accommodations within scope of service.
- Gathers and processes menu selections and diet orders
- Properly calculates preparation time so food items meet appropriate temperature controls and service times.
- Ensures transport retherm carts are delivered to floors on time.
Spends most of the time working on a nursing unit, institutional kitchen, meal assembly and dishwashing areas. Spends some of the time working in light and temperature controlled cafeteria or patient care areas and in climate controlled storeroom areas. Routinely handles sharp implements and glassware. Routinely works around hot equipment, steam producing equipment and wet areas. Routinely exposed to cleaning chemicals. Though traveling into and through patient care areas, has little or no exposure to pathogens borne by air, blood, body fluids or tissues. Stands and walks frequently. Routinely required to bend, stoop, kneel and reach. Routinely pushes or pulls loaded tray carts. Routinely works inside a 37 degree F walk-in cooler for tray assembly and set up. Routinely lifts or carries items weighing up to 25 pounds, and occasionally items up to and over 50 pounds, with assistance. Must have close and intermediate visual acuity. Ability to hear and verbally communicate is required.Education, Experience and Certifications
High school diploma, GED or currently enrolled and pursuing educational degree required. Satisfactory completion of a community college level human nutrition or nutrition and diet therapy course preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Carolinas HealthCare System is an EOE/AA Employer
Carolinas HealthCare System, one of the nation’s leading and most innovative healthcare organizations provides a full spectrum of healthcare and wellness programs throughout North and South Carolina. Its diverse network of facilities includes academic medical centers, approximately 38 hospitals, freestanding emergency department, more than 700 physician practices, behavioral health center, surgical and rehabilitation centers, home health agencies, hospice and palliative care services, and nursing homes.
For nearly 70 years, our system of exceptional facilities has been providing care that improves our community and the lives of our patients and employees.
At Carolinas HealthCare System, we are One team, delivering care through more than 11 million patient encounters. Our teammates share millions of reasons to be proud of their work and the contributions they make every day. We invite you to learn more about Carolinas HealthCare System, and discover all the possibilities ONE system has to offer.