Houston Methodist Research Institute
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030 Category:
Non-Clinical ResearchJob Type:
Full-Time Posted Date:
May 8, 2019 Work Shift:
M - F
The Research Assistant I is responsible for utilizing skills to provide technical research laboratory support in performing research experiments. Maintains records of data collected. Assists in the organization, tabulation and analysis of data under the direct supervision of the laboratory manager or Principal Investigator.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to Houston Methodist¿s Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation. Please include estimated % weighting for each Pillar.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Participation in research planning meetings.
2. Provides updates on assigned experiments and research outcomes.
SERVICE - 30%
1. Performs technical laboratory research.
2. Follows technical instruction in setting up and conducting experiments, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analyses.
3. Operates laboratory equipment if required.
4. Effectively utilizes computer systems.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected.
2. Assists in compilation, tabulation and analysis of data.
3. Makes minor modifications and/or repairs on laboratory equipment.
4. Calibrates and operates a variety of laboratory equipment.
5. Completes all necessary training and credentialing timely.
6. Complies with all safety guidelines and procedures.
FINANCE - 20%
1. Carefully plans and completes experiments in a timely manner.
2. Is a steward for Methodist¿s resources and considers this when ordering supplies.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Participation in the development or establishment of new laboratory procedures, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analysis.
2. Trains in new techniques as they emerge as appropriate.
3. Reads literature as requested by Supervisor.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
BA/BS with no experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
At Houston Methodist, we take our responsibility as the region’s premier health care system seriously.
With a national reputation for excellence in patient care, education and research, we hold ourselves — and the careers we build — to a higher standard. We invite you to find your place among the best of the best, and to stand with us in earning the trust of millions of people across the Houston Metro area every day.
Houston Methodist is comprised of a nationally recognized academic medical center and six community hospitals with a history of health care innovation. For the tenth straight year we have been named to FORTUNE’s list of “100 Best Companies to Work For” and have also been ranked the no.1 hospital in Texas by U.S. News & World Report.
Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.